Friday, July 15, 2011

Dragon from Bulang mountain

As usually I will try to say a story with me and tea as main characters. The story still goes on- We are (the tea as well as myself) getting aged. Or just getting old?:) We will see. 

I got this tea quite a while ago from one of my favorite Czech tea suplier  -LongFeng. The owner of the company started produces his cakes in 2009. Usually in several small series from different "mountain" of Yunnan. I liked both 09 and 10 teas I have tried before so I was curious to find what is in this nice, small package.



There are few interesting points, which I should probably mention. It was made from Gu Shu maocha gathered 15km from Lao Ban Zhan. Spring material pressed in August. It is offered as one half of wedding edition together with "Phoenix from Bulang mountain". Some of my friends do not like it and at the same time the owner of the LongFeng call it "this tea is the highest and finest tea we have ever offered in The LongFeng Exclusive Production".  Ok then, let’s see what is inside that package...

Scent of dry leaves is strong, heavy with very light smokiness behind. It seems to me that this "smokiness" almost has disappeared during couple of months I have it at home. Although the aroma of those leaves is quite strong it is not easy to identify all particular ingrediens of this "soup". Maybe kind of flowers I don't know? Spicy honey?
All infusions were clear with nice feeling in my mouth and throat.


Many young shengs I have fit to two categories for me- First it is "good for drink it now" or it is too wild, too sharp to be enjoyed without aging. Here it is something between- One year after pressing it isn't "an easy-tea to drink". It is strong, with very complicated taste. There is also bitterness of wormwood. This bitterness and young power don't forestall to me to enjoy it, it is not overwhelming. But for sure, ten years in one of my puer jars will show us more. Maybe the friend who didn't like it will also change his opinion then. Maybe he is going to regret that he didn't buy few of those small cakes as I did. And I will have an opportunity to invite him for cup of the tea. 


This tea is also a keeper. The taste of soup holds on its position for many infusions. Only slightly changing and developing thru my tea session. It is also not so easy to destroy it (compare to other fresh shengs I have). But still, it is better to be careful- we are talking about young guy here.


I got from Nada. Of course, it is as compare apples and pears but still- I have found some essence of those teas very similar. One reminds me another when I have tried them at week intervals. I hope to find time to prepare those teas in line to see how much I am wrong here.
Leaves of the Dragon from Bulang mountain are small but strong, with many tips.




You can see on pictures here a small teapot which I got as a present during my last year Korean trip. I like its small size and simplicity. It is probably piece from big series but the quality of the clay is quite nice. There was interesting discussion on The Listening to Leaves blog related to this kind of the teapots. The ball filter is not perfect here, probably too complicated for such small piece and for pressed teas. But it is not such big deal and I like to use it.









It is very nice to take your tea accessories outside. When you are sitting outside during sunny morning you can see your cup of tea in different light. Please lets go outside and enjoy your tea under a tree. Thank you for reading.



9 comments:

  1. Hi Petr,

    "Please lets go outside and enjoy your tea under a tree."
    ->I would it try during the holidays :)

    Amicalement
    Nicolas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petr, when reading those lines, I am drinking a young sheng pu er (Mengku 2007), prepared in your small round celadon teapot and cup...The sun is shining, I will now turn off the computer and go outside with my tea set, sit on the grass and close my eyes...
    Thank you.
    Lionel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicolas - Lionel , thank you for taking my advise:) You can see few new pictures from today on the end of the post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petr -
    Beautiful pictures and wonderful story and posting. Very enjoyable. I have been reflecting lately myself about how, like the aging of puerh, I am in that "awkward phase" in my life right now -- not quite young but not yet old :) So it is that tea offers another pleasing metaphor and lesson of patience :) Thank you once again for a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that I am not alone who like to play with this kind of metaphors. I am just not sure if donť care more about quality and storage of tea then about quality and storage of me

    Best
    Petr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Petr, beautiful photos! I will definitely have to try this tea. I dont drink Bulang teas very often but when I do Im always very suprised about their woody tastes! Expecialy Lao Banzhang! Reminds me of whisky! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Petr,
    I tasted this tea again after 6 months an in my extremely dry storage conditions, and using less leaves than for other pu erhs (highly recommend to brew this tea with smaller leaves amount), I found it muuuch more round and balanced, than when it was very fresh. So I think it will age to much more pleasant character in about next 10 years (I kept enough, so we can try time to time).
    Zdenek Prachar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Branislav-I am not sure if I am able to recognize "bulang character" but there is definitely something interesting about teas from the area. You are probably right about "hint of whisky" (Scotch??) there. Fortunately good tea is cheaper then good whisky:)

    Zdeněk-thanks for stopping by. I look forward to see how the tea will age. I keep it in my 65%humidity so we can meet during those ten year few time and compare our results:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Petr,
    very good idea, I like it :o) We can meet time to time and taste. And we can compare to the second cake from the pair (Phoenix), it is from Bulang too, just different area and younger and not wild trees. And there will be another very special Bu Lang production this year, so a lot to compare in next years :o))))

    ReplyDelete